Thursday, January 17, 2013

Do You Have an Arts and Crafts Explosion in Your Home?

Having kids means having LOTS of small items floating around your home (crayons, legos, matchbox cars, etc.).  Most kids love getting creative which often translates to having the equivalent a small craft store in your house.

I've struggled between wanting to encourage my kids creativity and corralling all the supplies they use.  Here's a solution that's easier than you think.

Bookshelves aren't just for books and shoe boxes aren't just for shoes . . . so in "thinking outside of the shoebox," I created an extremely functional arts and crafts center.



I created this center for my kids using two unpainted bookshelves back to back.  I chose a color that coordinates with the rest of the colors in my home--which gave it a more "built in" look.  On one side of the bookcase, I stored all of the special art kits my kids have received as gifts (there's even a pottery wheel!). 

On the side of the bookcase shown in this photo--I purchased see through shoebox containers at a local hardware store and labeled each box with its contents.  My son actually said, "Thanks Mom, this makes finding things so much easier!"

The key to this system is the see through boxes.  When organizing often-used items--being able to see inside your storage containers allows you eliminate the time consuming and frustrating task of opening each container to view its contents. 

The end result . . . my kids can be creative and clean up neatly--and everyone is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment